August 2007


Here is the final lonely dog print. The process for creating this print was frustrating as I lost over half the prints to either mold or registration problems. Nonetheless I learned many things and hopefully I will have better luck on the next print. I’m setting aside the stray dog series for a while and will try another subject for my next moku hanga print.

lonelydog_final.jpg

Advertisements

This weekend I will print the third block of the Lonely Dog reduction print. One of the reasons I chose to do a reduction print was to aid in getting the registration right. My reasoning was that if each block is actually the same block with the same kento (registration notches) that everything should line up pretty well. Interestingly, I found out that this is not so, and I’m not exactly sure why. I found that when I lined up the paper over the second block, I needed to place the paper about one millimeter above the bottom edge of the kagi kento (the right-angled notch on the lower right corner). The side kento lined up exactly. My guess is that the paper stretched somewhat between printings, although I did try to moisten the paper to the same degree as for the first block. I used Nishinouchi paper from McClains which is 90% Kozo and 10% acid-free woodpulp. If anybody knows why this is happening, please let me know.

lonelydog.jpg

lonelydogprints.jpg

I made some prints and sandwiched them between dry newsprint topped with heavy books to flatten them. But, I think I left them too long or a least too wet because some of them got moldy. A setback to say the least. I let the next batch dry in the open air which didn’t leave them very wrinkled anyway. Some solutions to mold growth that I learned about on the Internet include addind a few drops of bleach or Dettol to your spray bottle. I’m not sure how this would effect the pigments, but I will experiment and see what happens.

Moldy Print
A sad, moldy dog


I spent the weekend camping in Jackson and checking out the Michigan Shakespeare Festival. I usually don’t find the time or the gumption to work on my artwork during a busy weekend like this, but I brought my woodblock stuff anyway and, well, here I am working away at it. It was pleasant to work in the dappled sunshine and I didn’t even have to clean up my woodchips!